Board-certified in orthopaedic surgery, Dr. Shahan Yacoubian is one of the busiest fellowship trained joint replacement surgeons for hips and knees in the Los Angeles San Fernando valley. At Providence St. Joseph Medical Center, he is the busiest fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon in joint replacement surgery.
His training at Harvard University Brigham and Women’s Hospital and The Albert Einstein College of Medicine set the foundation for him to expertly perform primary joint replacement surgeries and revision surgeries (previously implanted joints). Dr. Shahan Yacoubian cares for a wide spectrum of joint diseases in the knee and hip from the initial onset of cartilage degradation to complex joint replacement surgery.
In addition, Dr. Shahan Yacoubian has been appointed to these prestigious positions:
- Medical Director of the Orthopaedic Clinical Institute for Providence Health Services in Southern California.
- Board Members for Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank and Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills.
- Editorial board member for the Journal of Arthroplasty, medically renowned international joint replacement surgery scientific journal.
- A managing partner at OSS.
- Volunteer and lead joint replacement surgeon on international medical mission. Providing access to life changing joint replacement surgery for those in need.
- Volunteers at St. Francis High School (his alma mater).
Interests: Cleveland Browns + Los Angeles Lakers + Spending time with family and friends.
- Arthritis (knee arthritis, hip arthritis, shoulder arthritis)
- Pain in body joints (knee pain, hip pain, shoulder pain)
- Tears to cartilage, ligaments, muscles in the knee, hip, and shoulder
- Broken bones (fractures) from a sudden injury (trauma)
- Pain in a joint that already has an implant or prosthetic
- Taking care of broken bones, injured soft tissue (muscles, ligaments) and dislocations by using splints, bracing, casts, medications, hot or cold therapies, physical therapy or injection therapy.
- Osteoporosis and its effects on the hip and knee
- Surgical care for broken hips
- Joint Replacement Surgery and Revision Surgery to failed joints
- Total Knee Replacement
- Revision Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Revision Hip Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Arthroscopy surgery (known as scopes), including:
- Knee scope (knee arthroscopy)
- Shoulder scope (shoulder arthroscopy)
- Hip scope (hip arthroscopy)
- Scientifically proven regenerative medicine which includes PRP injections
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Burbank
- Glendale Surgical Center, Glendale
- Buena Vista Surgery Center, Burbank
- Adventist Health Glendale, Glendale
- Dignity Health Glendale Memorial Hospital, Glendale
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Western Orthopaedic Association
- Marmor M, Elliott IS, Marshall ST, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV, Herfat ST. Biomechanical comparison of long, short, and extended-short nail construct for femoral intertrochanteric fractures. Injury. 2015 Jun;46(6):963-9. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2015.03.005. Epub 2015 Mar 10.
- Jagow DM, Garcia BJ, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV. Recurrent patellar tendon rupture in a patient after intramedullary nailing of the tibia: reconstruction using an Achilles tendon allograft. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2015 May;44(5):E153-5.
Wright RC, Gillis CT, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV.
Extensor mechanism repair failure with use of bidirectional barbed suture in total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2012 Aug;27(7):1413.e1-4. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2011.08.013. Epub 2011 Oct 5.
Wright RC, Crouch A, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV.
Orthopedics. 2011 Dec 6;34(12):e933-5. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20111021-25. Orthopedics. 2012 Feb;35(2):130. Ravan, Raymond B 3rd [corrected to Raven, Raymond B 3rd].
Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Salzman GA, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. The extended-short nail system, a novel concept in the management of proximal femur fractures. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2011 Dec;40(12):630-5.
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Treatment of Proximal Femur Fractures using an Extended-Short Nail. Poster session presented at: 78th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2011 Feb 15-19, San Diego, CA
- Wright RC, Salzman GA, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV. Bilateral femoral neck stress fractures in a fire academy student. Orthopaedics. 2010 Oct 11;33(10):767
- Yacoubian SV, Sah AP, Estok DM 2nd. Incidence of Sciatic Nerve Palsy After Revision Hip Arthroplasty Through a Posterior Approach. J Arthroplasty. 2010 Jan;25(1):31-34
- Yacoubian SV, Scott RD. Skin incision translation in total knee arthroplasty: the difference between flexion and extension. J Arthroplasty. 2007 Apr;22(3):353-355
- Steinberg EL, Geller DS, Yacoubian SV, Shasha N, Dekel S, Lorich DG. Intramedullary fixation of tibial shaft fractures using an expandable nail: early results of 54 acute tibial shaft fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 May;20(5):303-309
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Pode M, Mintz D, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. Prediction of soft-tissue injuries in Schatzker II tibial plateau fractures based on measurements of plain radiographs. J Trauma. 2006 Feb;60(2):319-323
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The incidence of soft tissue injury in operative tibial plateau fractures: a magnetic resonance imaging analysis of 103 patients. J Orthop Trauma. 2005 Feb;19(2):79-84
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 Patients. Paper session presented at: 72nd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2005 Feb 23-27, Washington, D.C
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. Prediction of Soft tissue Injuries in Schatzker II Tibial Plateau Fractures based on X- ray measurements. Paper session presented at: 72nd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2005 Feb 23-27, Washington, D.C
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Operative Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 patients. Paper session presented at: International Society for Fracture Repair Annual Meeting; 2004 Nov, Bologna, Italy
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. Prediction of Soft Tissue Injury in Schatzker 2 Tibial Plateau Fractures Based on X-ray Measurements: Paper session presented at: 35th Annual Meeting of the Eastern Orthopaedic Association; 2004 Oct 13-16, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Operative Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 patients. Paper session presented at: 35th Annual Meeting of the Eastern Orthopaedic Association; 2004 Oct 13-16, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Operative Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 patients. Paper session presented at: 20th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association; 2004 Oct 8-10, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lorich DG, Geller DS, Yacoubian SV, Leo AJ, Helfet DL. Intramedullary fixation of humeral shaft fractures using an inflatable nail. Orthopaedics. 2003 Oct;26(10):1011-1014. Lorich DG, Yacoubian S, Geller D. An Innovative Mode of Intramedullary Fixation. International Review of Modern Surgery. 2002 March:62
- Sonderbye L, Feng S, Yacoubian S, Buehler H, Ahsan N, Mulligan R, Langhoff E. In vivo and in vitro modulation of immune stimulatory capacity of primary dendritic cells by adenovirus-mediated gene transduction. Exp Clin Immunogenet. 1998;15(2):100-111
- Yacoubian SV, “Screening of Human Genome for the promoter sequence of p55 gene through plaque hybridization” Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Medical School Research Project, 1997-1998
- Yacoubian SV, Zangwill L, “Analysis of retinal cup to disk ratio in glaucoma by laser topographical imagery.” Undergraduate Research in the Biological Sciences, University of California at San Diego (1996)
“Two years since I had both knees replaced and all is good! I believe I left a very positive review not long after, so this is basically a repeat of that. Dr Shahan Yacoubian does the knee replacements, and he knows what he is doing. His staff is great too and their physical therapy center next door is top notch! They were great! Didn't push too hard to ... ”- Marc S.
“I could not walk I had to hop, my hip was really bad and was in need of total hip replacement. I was sent to Shahan Yacoubian I have not felt so good in the last 5 years, Dr Yacoubian reassured me that / will be better, I have not be so happy in years, I personally recommend him with being a top Dr that I have ever had and I would go back to him in a ... ”- Sheila C.
“Shahan Yacoubian and his associate team of surgeons/specialists are top natch in their field. Not only are they extremely knowledgeable in what they do, they are assertive, friendly and understand the needs of each Individual patient. My hip joint replacement went like clockwork, and exactly as they proposed it would be. After suffering sciatica for ... ”- Justin S.
“Dr Shahan Yacoublan is one of the best doctors I've ever dealt with, he performed a hip replacement on me and everything went extremely wall. I was walking with a walker the same day, with a cane in two weeks and by the fourth week I was on my feat without any assistance. I recommend him if you are looking for an excellent surgeon that cares about his pa ... ”- Edward C.
“I think Orthopedic Surgery Specialists group is the best group for orthopedic surgery. Over the years, before OSS, I had two knee surgeries, a shoulder surgery, and a foot surgery with different doctors and at different facilities. So I have had a lot of orthopedic experience. I discovered OSS this summer after a MRI revealed I had a broken hip. Dr. ... ”- Janet L.
“Dr. Shahan Yacoubian replaced my left hip in October. I went in with full confidence because not only was I referred by my trusted physician, but leading up to the surgery I met so many others who had recently had hip or knee surgery and highly recommended him. Since my VERY SUCCESSFUL hip replacement, I've met even more of his happy patients. It just ... ”- Tina P.