Dr. Yuri Falkinstein is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in complex disorders of the entire spine in adult and pediatric patients. He is a general partner of Orthopaedic Surgery Specialists where his practice focuses on the treatment of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spinal disorders. Dr. Falkinstein frequently performs corrective spinal procedures for patients with failed back-surgery syndrome and adjacent level degeneration.
Fellowship trained in Spine Surgery at Stanford University and St. Mary’s Medical Center in San Francisco, Dr. Falkinstein cares for the entire spine which includes degenerative diseases, deformity, trauma, tumors, and infections. He is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the North American Spine Society (NASS).
Dr. Falkinstein is committed to utilizing the entire spectrum of non-operative treatments, including physical therapy, chiropractic care, Yoga, Pilates, acupuncture and medical pain management. He also performs diagnostic and therapeutic injections for varying spinal disorders as part of the conservative approach to spinal care. For those individuals who require surgical care, Dr. Falkinstein utilizes the newest minimally invasive surgical procedures, motion preservation and disc replacement when appropriate for the patient.
- Osteoporosis and spinal fractures
- Complex disorders of the entire spine for adults and children
- Degenerative conditions for the neck and back (cervical, thoracic, and lumbar)
- Herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, and degenerative disc disease
- Spinal tumors, infections, and trauma
- Spinal deformity, scoliosis, and kyphosis
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Microdiscectomy and laminotomy/laminectomy
- Spinal fusion using different approaches – front, back, side
- artificial disc replacement for neck (cervical) and lower back (lumbar)
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty for the management of osteoporosis-related fractures
- Epidural steroid injections for non-operative management of spinal stenosis Cervical and lumbar
- Facet injections for management of back pain Cervical and lumbar
- Complex spine surgery for treatment of deformity, tumors, and trauma
- Orthopaedic trauma/fracture care
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Burbank
- Glendale Surgical Center, Glendale
- Buena Vista Surgery Center, Burbank
- North American Spine Society
- California Orthopaedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Wright RC, Gillis CT, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Extensor Mechanism Repair Failure With Use of Bidirectional Barbed Suture in Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. Forthcoming 2012.
- Wright RC, Crouch A, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Non-Traumatic, Dislodged Polyethylene Tibial Insert One Year After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Case Report. Orthopaedics. Forthcoming 2012.
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Treatment of Proximal Femur Fractures using an Extended-Short Nail. Poster session presented at: 78th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2011 Feb 15-19, San Diego, CA.
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Salzman GA, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Treatment of Proximal Femur Fractures using a Novel Concept, the Extended-Short Nail. Am J Orthop. 40(9). Forthcoming 2011.
- Krieger MD, Falkinstein Y, Bowen IE, Tolo VT, McComb JG. Scoliosis and Chiari malformation Type I in children. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2011 Jan;7(1):25-29.
- Menendez LR, Ahlmann ER, Falkinstein Y, Allison DC. Periacetabular reconstruction with a new endoprosthesis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009 Nov;467(11):2831-2837.
- Falkinstein Y, Smith T, Hsu K, Zucherman J. Correlation Between the Preoperative Disc Height, the Change in Disc Height, the Size of the Implant and Outcomes in Total Disc Replacement. Poster session presented at: 23rd Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society; 2008 Oct 14-18, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Falkinstein Y, Ahlmann ER, Menendez LR. Reconstruction of type II pelvic resection with a new peri-acetabular reconstruction endoprosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008 Mar;90(3):371-376.
- Falkinstein Y, Hannibal M. Posterior Dynamic Stabilization. Paper session presented at: 20th Annual Meeting for Disorders of the Spine; 2008 Jan 23, Whistler, BC.
- Ahlmann ER, Falkinstein Y, Fedenko AN, Menendez LR. Cryoablation and resection influences patient survival for soft tissue sarcomas: impact on survivorship and local recurrence. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007 Jun;459:174-181.
- Krieger M, Falkinstein Y, Tolo, V. Scoliosis and Chiari I Malformations in Children. Paper session presented at: Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America; 2006 May 3-6, San Diego, CA.
- Keyak JH, Falkinstein Y. Comparison of in situ and in vitro CT scan-based finite element model predictions of proximal femoral fracture load. Med Eng Phys. 2003 Nov;25(9):781-787.
- Falkinstein Y, Keyak J. Comparison of In Situ and In Vitro Finite Element Analyses of Proximal Femora. Poster session presented at: 46th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society; 2000 Mar 12-15, Orlando, FL.
- Escamilla G, Falkinstein Y, Chang C, Schneider D, Zeltzer L. Reducing Acute Pain through Computer-Generated Distraction in Children. J Investig Med. 1997;45(1):86A
“Did my PT here after a major back surgery. Love OSS! Everything runs well, people are friendly. I came out strong as hell and confident in my new abilities. ”- Brenna R.
“Dr. Falkenstein has performed 2 lower back microdiscectomies in the past with excellent results. I've seen other doctors since the surgeries and they have all commented on the excellent work performed by Dr. Falkenstein. I am going back for fusion surgery soon and feel very comfortable with him performing this surgery. I've also had questions pop up ... ”- Russel L.
“Dr. Falkenstein saved me! I honestly don't even know how to describe the happiness and relief I am feeling right now after suffering from lower back pain for pretty much half of my life (ps I am 30). Thank you Dr. Falkenstein for giving me my quality of life back! I am so appreciative of you and I recommend anyone suffering from spinal pain only trust ... ”- Linda C.
“I interviewed several doctors for me spinal fusion. I actually have had three done on my neck but was not happy with my doctor and his love for the patient. Dr. Falkenstein is a great doctor and actually spends time with you to explain what is wrong and how he can fix it. He sits down with you shows you your MRI and shows you at the cases where people ... ”- Kowser O.