As a Board-Certified specialist in both Orthopaedic Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Dr Stephan Yacoubian is an expert in getting active people back to a healthy lifestyle as quickly as possible and maintaining their well-being. This is done by understanding each patient’s goals and needs individually. Most problems can be treated without surgery using the latest treatment methods. When surgery is necessary, Dr Yacoubian uses the latest minimally invasive procedures and proven techniques designed to restore an individual’s activity level. Dr Stephan Yacoubian specializes in treating injured, damaged, broken or worn-out joints, bones, ligaments and tendons.
Board-certified orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Stephan Yacoubian is focused on caring for the shoulder, hip and knee. Dr. Stephan Yacoubian is one of the few surgeons in California to hold a Subspecialty Certificate from the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery in Sports Medicine. He has appeared on national TV, both NBC national evening news and CBS news, The Doctors (talk show).
Dr. Stephan Yacoubian’s contributions and service:
- Senior partner and founder of OSS Health Network.
- Serves as Lieutenant Commander in the United States Navy Reserve. He is attached to the Expeditionary Medical Facility in Camp Pendleton, California. This service involves performing the duties of a trauma surgeon monthly and maintaining readiness for deployment when the needs of our country dictate.
- Holds US Patents on two surgical devices that are currently in use world-wide.
- Teaches Sports Medicine to medical students as clinical faculty for Western University of Health Sciences.
- Teaches Physician Assistants, nursing students, xray technicians and medical assistants from various schools.
- Served several terms as Department Chairman of Orthopaedic Surgery at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank.
- Medical Director of Glendale Surgical Center which performs thousands of surgical procedures per year.
- Volunteer surgeon on global medical missions, including Trinidad and Tabago 2001, Haiti 2011 and 2013. Armenia 2018 and 2019. In 2011, awarded “Man of the Year” from the Helping Hands International Foundation for medical mission to Haiti.
- Arthritis (knee arthritis, hip arthritis, shoulder arthritis)
- Pain in body joints (knee pain, hip pain, shoulder pain)
- Injuries from sports or activity related to musculoskeletal system
- Tears to cartilage, ligaments, muscles in the shoulder, hip, knee,
- Broken bones (fractures) from a sudden injury (trauma)
- Pain in a joint that already has an implant or prosthetic
- Care of broken bones injured soft tissues (muscles, ligaments) and dislocations by using splints, bracing, casts, medications, physical therapy or injection therapy.
- Surgical care for broken shoulders, collar bones, arms, hips, femurs, knees, tibias, and fibulas
- Joint Replacement Surgery
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
- Revision Shoulder Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Arthroscopy surgery
- Arthroscopic surgical repair
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Labral Repair
- Shoulder dislocation repair
- ACL Reconstruction (Knee)
- Meniscus Repair (Knee)
- Scientifically proven regenerative medicine which includes PRP injections
- Osteoporosis evaluation and management
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Burbank
- Glendale Surgical Center, Glendale
- Buena Vista Surgery Center, Burbank
- Adventist Health Glendale, Glendale
- Dignity Health Glendale Memorial Hospital, Glendale
- Expeditionary Medical Facility, Camp Pendleton
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Western Orthopaedic Association
- California Medical Association
- Health Volunteers Overseas
- International Medical Surgical Response Team
- Los Angeles County Medical Association
- Los Angeles County Disaster Healthcare Volunteers Program
- Marmor M, Elliott IS, Marshall ST, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV, Herfat ST. “Biomechanical comparison of long, short, and extended-short nail construct for femoral intertrochanteric fractures.” Injury. 2015 Jun;46(6):963-9. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2015.03.005. Epub 2015 Mar 10.
- Jagow DM, Garcia BJ, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV. “Recurrent patellar tendon rupture in a patient after intramedullary nailing of the tibia: reconstruction using an Achilles tendon allograft.” Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2015 May;44(5):E153-5.
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. “The Extended-Short Nail System, a Novel Concept in the Management of Proximal Femur Fractures.” American Journal of Orthopedics. 2011Dec;40(12).Wright RC, Crouch A, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Non-Traumatic, Dislodged Polyethylene Tibial Insert One Year After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Case Report. Orthopaedics. 2011 Dec;34(12).
- Wright RC, Gillis CT, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Extensor Mechanism Repair Failure With Use of Bidirectional Barbed Suture in Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2011 Oct;[Epub ahead of print]
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Treatment of Proximal Femur Fractures using an Extended-Short Nail. Poster session presented at: 78th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2011 Feb 15-19, San Diego, CA
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV, “Treatment of Proximal Femur Fractures using an Extended-Short Nail.” Poster presentation. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 78th Annual Meeting, Feb 15-19, 2011, San Diego, California.
- Wright RC, Salzamn GA, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV. “Bilateral Femoral Neck Stress Fractures in Fire Academy Student.” Orthopedics. 2010 Oct;33(10):767
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV. “Sequential Compression Device May Cause Peroneal Nerve Palsy.” Orthopedics. 2010 Jun;33(4):444.
- Plancher KD, Luke TA, Peterson RK, Yacoubian SV. “Posterior shoulder pain: a dynamic study of the spinoglenoid ligament and treatment with arthroscopic release of the scapular tunnel.” Arthroscopy. 2007 Sep;23(9):991-8.
- Yacoubian, SV; Fulkerson, JP; “Quadriceps Tendon ACL Reconstruction” Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Chapter, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2007.
- Yacoubian, SV; Fulkerson, JP; “Central Quadriceps Free Tendon for ACL Reconstruction” Chapter 65: Miller and Cole Textbook of Arthroscopy. P669-674 2004.
- Yacoubian, SV; Nevins, RT; Sallis, JG; Potter, HG; “Impact of MRI on Treatment Plan and Fracture Classification of Tibial Plateau Fractures” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2002 Oct;16(9):632-637.
- Luke, TA; Peterson, RK; Yacoubian, SV; Johnston, JC; Plancher, KD, “The Spinoglenoid Ligament: Anatomy, Morphology, Histology and Clinical Relevance with Arthroscopic Release.” Poster presentation: The Western Orthopaedic Association 64th Annual Meeting, Oct 21-25, 2000, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Luke, TA; Yacoubian, SV; Johnson, JC; Plancher, KD. “The Spinoglenoid Ligament: Clinical Relevance, Anatomy, Morphology and Histology.” Paper presentation. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 67th Annual Meeting, Mar 15-19, 2000, Orlando, Florida.
- Luke, TA; Yacoubian, SV; Hornstein, J; Sallis, JG; Lorich, DG; Plancher, KD. “Biomechanical Study Comparing IM Nailing and Compression Plating in Forearm Fractures.” Paper presentation: The Western Orthopaedic Association 64th Annual Meeting, Oct 21-25, 2000, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Nevins, RT; Yacoubian, SV; Potter, HG; Lorich, DG, “Preliminary Evaluation of Posterolateral Corner Injury in Tibial Plateau Fractures.” Poster presentation: The 15th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, Oct 22-24, 1999, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Yacoubian, SV; Nevins,RT; Sallis, JG; Potter, HG; Lorich, DG. “Predictability of Meniscal Injuries in Tibial Plateau by Measuring the Joint Depression and Lateral Displacement Found on Plain Films.” Poster presentation: The 15th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, Oct 22-24, 1999, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Yacoubian, SV; Nevins, RT; Potter, HG; Lorich, DG. “MRI Can Change the Operative Management of High Energy Tibial Plateau Fractures”. Abstract presentation: Hospital for Special Surgery 81st Annual Alumni Meeting, Nov 4-5, 1999, New York, NY.
- Yacoubian, SV; Nevins,RT; Sallis, JG; Lorich, DG. “Comparison of MRI, CT and X-rays in Evaluating Fracture Classification and Soft Tissue Injuries in High Energy Tibial Plateau Fractures.” Paper presentation: The 61st Annual Meeting of the American Fracture Association, May 13-16, 1999, Tucson, AZ.
- Yacoubian, SV; Luke, TA; Rovner, AD; McGillicuddy, J, “The Torsional Strength of Bioabsorbable Interference Screws in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.” Poster presentation: The 66th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Feb 4-8, 1999, Anaheim, California.
- Yacoubian, SV; Villereal, LP. “EIA Mediated Episomal Persistence of Polymavirus: Effects of Cellular Growth Conditions on Episomal Stability.” Paper presentation: The 7th National Institute of Health Symposium on Viral Latency and Persistence, Mar 26-28, 1992, Newport Beach, California.
“I'm thrilled to return as a patient of Dr. Stephan Yacoubian for my upcoming knee arthroscopy surgery. He performed surgery for my other knee over 10 years ago and gave me excellent care. His expertise and experience give me peace of mind but just as important he takes the time during my appointment to answer any questions I have. His office staff is ... ”- Karen G.
“I've seen Dr Stephan Yacoublan for several different injuries. He performed my surgery to fix a torn rotator cuff in the past and that was the quickest I've ever recovered from any surgery (and I've had many.). This time around I'm seeing him for my knee, where he's going to try a gel injection and physical therapy. I love that he doesn't jump straight ... ”- Krissie B.