Hip (Includes Revisions)
Knee (Includes Revisions)
- Conditions & Treatments
Dr. Shahan Yacoubian is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in joint replacement surgery, complex revision surgery (previously implanted joint replacements), and trauma/fracture surgery. He is a general partner of Orthopaedics Surgery Specialists.
Fellowship trained in adult hip and knee replacement and reconstructive surgery at the world renowned Harvard Medical School’s Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Dr. Shahan Yacoubian cares for a wide spectrum of joint diseases from the initial onset of cartilage degradation to complex joint replacement surgery. Dr. Shahan Yacoubian is the only fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon at Providence St. Joseph Hospital focusing on joint replacements; other orthopaedic surgeons throughout the greater Los Angeles area frequently refer patients to Dr. Shahan Yacoubian because of his expertise in joint replacement surgery. Dr. Yacoubian remains active in both community and physician education, routinely participating in educational lectures throughout the community, nationally, and internationally.
When not in the office or in surgery, Dr. Shahan Yacoubian, a father of 4, can be found with his head in his hands watching his Cleveland Browns and Los Angeles Lakers. An avid cook and handyman, Dr. Yacoubian has dreamt of building furniture…consistent with his precision and skill as a “carpenter of the body”. An interesting fact, Dr. Yacoubian has a true love of music. His playlist changes often, but will always include some Country-Western, techno, and especially his all-time favorite…Elvis!
Conditions Dr. Shahan Yacoubian treats:
- Knee Arthritis
- Hip Arthritis
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Injuries to the Cartilage/Ligaments of the Shoulder, Hip, and Knee
- Fracture Care (Broken Bones)
- Evaluation of Previously Implanted Joint Replacements
- Painful Joints
Treatments Dr. Shahan Yacoubian Routinely Performs:
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Revision Knee Replacement
- Revision Hip Replacement
- Hip Fracture Care/Osteoporosis
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Non-Operative Treatment of the Hip and Knee
- Care of Fractures and Ligament Tears
- Marmor M, Elliott IS, Marshall ST, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV, Herfat ST. Biomechanical comparison of long, short, and extended-short nail construct for femoral intertrochanteric fractures. Injury. 2015 Jun;46(6):963-9. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2015.03.005. Epub 2015 Mar 10.
- Jagow DM, Garcia BJ, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV. Recurrent patellar tendon rupture in a patient after intramedullary nailing of the tibia: reconstruction using an Achilles tendon allograft. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2015 May;44(5):E153-5.
Wright RC, Gillis CT, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV.
Wright RC, Crouch A, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV.Orthopedics. 2011 Dec 6;34(12):e933-5. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20111021-25. Orthopedics. 2012 Feb;35(2):130. Ravan, Raymond B 3rd [corrected to Raven, Raymond B 3rd].
Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Salzman GA, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. The extended-short nail system, a novel concept in the management of proximal femur fractures. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2011 Dec;40(12):630-5.
- Wright RC, Yacoubian SV, Raven RB 3rd, Falkinstein Y, Yacoubian SV. Treatment of Proximal Femur Fractures using an Extended-Short Nail. Poster session presented at: 78th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2011 Feb 15-19, San Diego, CA
- Wright RC, Salzman GA, Yacoubian SV, Yacoubian SV. Bilateral femoral neck stress fractures in a fire academy student. Orthopaedics. 2010 Oct 11;33(10):767
- Yacoubian SV, Sah AP, Estok DM 2nd. Incidence of Sciatic Nerve Palsy After Revision Hip Arthroplasty Through a Posterior Approach. J Arthroplasty. 2010 Jan;25(1):31-34
- Yacoubian SV, Scott RD. Skin incision translation in total knee arthroplasty: the difference between flexion and extension. J Arthroplasty. 2007 Apr;22(3):353-355
- Steinberg EL, Geller DS, Yacoubian SV, Shasha N, Dekel S, Lorich DG. Intramedullary fixation of tibial shaft fractures using an expandable nail: early results of 54 acute tibial shaft fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 May;20(5):303-309
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Pode M, Mintz D, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. Prediction of soft-tissue injuries in Schatzker II tibial plateau fractures based on measurements of plain radiographs. J Trauma. 2006 Feb;60(2):319-323
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The incidence of soft tissue injury in operative tibial plateau fractures: a magnetic resonance imaging analysis of 103 patients. J Orthop Trauma. 2005 Feb;19(2):79-84
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 Patients. Paper session presented at: 72nd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2005 Feb 23-27, Washington, D.C
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. Prediction of Soft tissue Injuries in Schatzker II Tibial Plateau Fractures based on X- ray measurements. Paper session presented at: 72nd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2005 Feb 23-27, Washington, D.C
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Operative Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 patients. Paper session presented at: International Society for Fracture Repair Annual Meeting; 2004 Nov, Bologna, Italy
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. Prediction of Soft Tissue Injury in Schatzker 2 Tibial Plateau Fractures Based on X-ray Measurements: Paper session presented at: 35th Annual Meeting of the Eastern Orthopaedic Association; 2004 Oct 13-16, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Operative Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 patients. Paper session presented at: 35th Annual Meeting of the Eastern Orthopaedic Association; 2004 Oct 13-16, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller D, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Operative Tibial Plateau Fractures. An MRI Analysis of 103 patients. Paper session presented at: 20th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association; 2004 Oct 8-10, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lorich DG, Geller DS, Yacoubian SV, Leo AJ, Helfet DL. Intramedullary fixation of humeral shaft fractures using an inflatable nail. Orthopaedics. 2003 Oct;26(10):1011-1014. Lorich DG, Yacoubian S, Geller D. An Innovative Mode of Intramedullary Fixation. International Review of Modern Surgery. 2002 March:62
- Sonderbye L, Feng S, Yacoubian S, Buehler H, Ahsan N, Mulligan R, Langhoff E. In vivo and in vitro modulation of immune stimulatory capacity of primary dendritic cells by adenovirus-mediated gene transduction. Exp Clin Immunogenet. 1998;15(2):100-111
- Yacoubian SV, “Screening of Human Genome for the promoter sequence of p55 gene through plaque hybridization” Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Medical School Research Project, 1997-1998
- Yacoubian SV, Zangwill L, “Analysis of retinal cup to disk ratio in glaucoma by laser topographical imagery.” Undergraduate Research in the Biological Sciences, University of California at San Diego (1996)
Dr. Shahan Yacoubian named in Los Angeles magazine as Super Doctors Rising Star
Dr. Shahan Yacoubian at Orthopaedic Surgery Specialists is listed in the Southern California’s Super Doctors Rising Stars Edition 2013, which is published in the August 2013 Los Angeles magazine (page S-11). This honor ranks 2.5 percent of active Southern California physicians.
Selections for this honored list are made by the research team at Super Doctors, which is a service of Key Professional Media, Inc. Each year, the research team at Super Doctors goes through a thorough multi-phase selection process that includes a survey of doctors, an independent evaluation of candidates by the research staff, a peer review of candidates by practice area, and a good-standing and disciplinary check.
Dr. Shahan Yacoubian works on clinical orthopaedic trials
Dr. Shahan Yacoubian continues to remain on the forefront of hip and knee surgery. He is one of a few hip and knee surgeons participating in a multi-center evaluation of a newly modified knee replacement implant which uses Vitamin E in order to lengthen the life span of total knee replacements.
Knee replacements are commonly made up of 4 parts: A femoral component, a tibial component (both of which are typically made up of a metal alloy), a patella component, and a tibial polyethylene liner which is locked on to the tibial component. Both the tibial polyethylene liner and patella component are made of a plastic material which has historically been susceptible to wearing out over time. Recent advances in these materials now allows for Vitamin E (a powerful antioxidant) to be added to the plastic parts in order to improve their longevity.
As such, Dr. Shahan Yacoubian uses these implants in the total knee replacement surgeries he performs to provide patients with knee implants that will survive for the duration.